National Assembly of South Korea

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 | |

A month back, a good friend of mine who worked at the National Assembly of South Korea gave me a tour. The National Assembly of South Korea is where the Supreme Court resides. That means all the legislatures and elections are held here. It seats 299 members consisting of usually 7 or 8 parties. But because when I visited it was past the regular working hours, I didn't get to visit the commons. I've often seen news clips of the room; usually, the ministers or the party members are derailing each other with words, or sometimes even worse, with sledgehammers and fire extinguishers. No joke.

Coming up from the National Assembly Station, the picture above is what you see from the escalators.

The coming Sunday, I was in the neighborhood again. And since I missed the opportunity to shoot the entire building the first time I went, I took the liberty to drop-by. Of course, I wasn't allowed in without a visitor tag that day. But I still saw the lines of Eqqus parked outside the adjacent buildings. Eqqus is the flagship models of Hyundai cars. My friend told me that once you're elected a representative, the government accommodates you with a free Eqqus and a driver during your term.

Nothing spectacular or memorable though. There is the red carpet as you enter, but the interiors and the exteriors are fairly stout and plain. I did learn about the first Korean president. That counts as something. It also made for a good stroll. But really, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity while my friend still worked there. Big thanks to my friend. Because otherwise I wouldn't be able to attain a pass on my own.

2 comments:

Eleonora said...

'big' friends you got there, huh?;) seriously, aren't those people like VIP of Korea? :)

Issac Rhim said...

no no, she was an intern. i almost got kicked out of the place when the guard came. it was late and he seemed very suspicious. she lied that i was here to take photos of the building for a school newspaper. and amazingly, it worked.