National Museum of Korea

Sunday, July 3, 2011 | |

I'm not big on old stuff, like antiques. That's what my mom's interested in. Not me. I don't have the patience to stand and read all those historical events and background information that are written on the plaques beside the artifacts. When it comes to fine arts, I'm like a kid with ADD. I need to take-in and feel it right away. You know, like modern and contemporary art. They need to be visually refreshing and conceptually novel. Old ceramics, archeological artifacts, yellowed-out maps, engraved stone tabloids, ancient jewelries, and clothes-that-haven't-been-washed-over-two-centuries rely on subtle contextual differences and small details which I tend to overlook. So it's surprising that I decided to visit a historical museum and the biggest one at that, the National Museum of Korea. Well, afterthoughts? Personally, it made a good lesson for cultivating my patience. But for those who actually enjoy historical museums, I'd say go if you get the chance. The museum's also huge, so if you're on a diet and looking to ambulate I'd say this makes for a good afternoon session.

In all seriousness, the museum experience was great. Admission is free, the National Museum of Korea holds the biggest Korean-Asian heritage and artifact collections in Korea, it has solid interior designs, there are some nice cafes to rest, and the people who work at the museum really do care. I saw a couple of security guards just zoning out of their duty and gazing at a piece. And few discussing amongst themselves. I always find that kind of interest and sincerity to be an encouragement for the visitors, like myself.


The pictures aren't in any particular order. For higher resolution slideshow, click here.

0 comments: