Food for Thought

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 | |


I was walking around a nearby outdoor market, and I saw few booths with these things, called 'bun-dae-gee'. Basically, bun-dae-gee's are marinated cocoons. Looking at them, I thought to myself, 'There's a good chance that most of those pre-mature moths and butterflies are brothers and sisters!', being well aware of moth farms being a common practice. Then I thought, 'Well, that must suck! It's a genocide!' But then I countered myself, 'Not really. At least their beloved ones are among their deathbeds, though it's quite the shabby bed.' But then if you think about it, it's not too bad. Given a limited, shortened life-span but with abundance in food and minimal worries versus a less limited yet more competitive life of unexpected scarcity in food, you can't possibly choose one over the other, I think. Then I caught myself thinking, 'That's such a narrow, anthropocentric way of thinking.' But again, I countered myself again, 'Well, it's a food for thought. You needn't take it too seriously.' And with that I asked the shopkeeper for a 1,000-won worth of bun-dae-gee.

Vitamin addict. Vitamin abuser. Vitaminesque.

These days, I wish I had more time to write about what I think about throughout the day, abstract or real. Heck, even being able to process them would be a blessing. I wish there was something I could ingest that'd make time more visible. It wouldn't necessarily have to buy me time or slow time so I could do more work, or relax, but rather just make myself more aware of time. Sort of like implanting a mental clock in my head while I do work, or rest. It'd help me schedule things lot more efficiently and help me appreciate time more. They say anxiety has the exact same effect, but I rather not risk the high blood pressure it's accompanied by.

On a side note, they say time traveling is theoretically possible but realistically improbable. But time bending, or forecasting, may be possible. How would that feel like? Standing on one time zone yet experiencing the past or the future? I imagine it would be kind of like standing on an edge of a cliff with your body leaning forward, only to have the wind push you and keep you in balance. Well, it could be. Yup, it could be.

3 comments:

s said...

i think being conscious of the passage of time would actually make me anxious.

also, you ate those?!

deulhee said...

i say get an iphone so you can blog while on the subway :)

ps what do those taste like?

Issac Rhim said...

@s
i guess in a way it's the same for me. it's just i wouldn't call it 'anxious' but more of a boost or stimulus to get the work done faster/better.

'course, i ate 'em. i don't mind eating them but i get sick of them very fast. by the 10th one, i feel like i've had enough. mostly because of their taste.

@deulhee
iphone in korea is REALLY inconvenient and very expensive. korea didn't quite buy into the 'smartphone' era. they have really nice phones as well, but most of the functions are for entertainment, like TV, games, movies, music, etc. Not much web-browsing, etc. blogging is out of question. haha

ps they taste slightly salty but not the type that lingers around. the saltiness quickly dissipates. the texture's very interesting. when you first chew, it pops. it's firm on the outside but soft in the inside. it's very juicy and it has a bit of 'melting on your tongue' effect. so that tastes nice. the only thing i don't quite like is the after-taste. it kind of leaves a slight bitterness on your tongue.

=)