I Love You (Son)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 | |


INT. HALLWAY OUTSIDE NATHAN'S ROOM -- THANKSGIVING WEEKEND

Nathan's mother stands outside Nathan's door. She is tall and slim. Her hair shows hint of graying, and her hands show wear. She holds out her knuckle, hesitates, then knocks.

Nathan: Yea, come in.


She gently opens the door, stands by the door, and speaks. Nathan swivels his chair to face her.

Mother: Dinner's ready. I made your favorite, lasagna.

Nathan: Oh okay, thanks.


Mother turns to leave.

Nathan: Is dad still mad?

Mother: (turning back) The insurance is going to cover it. Don't worry about it.

Nathan: Really? Even the engine?

Mother: Yes.

Nathan: That's good. (beat) But dad's still mad.

Mother: You know how he gets. Give him time.

Nathan: Yea.

Mother: You're safe. That's all it matters.


Nathan doesn't respond.

Mother: (concerned) How come you're not going out with Chris this Thanksgiving?

Nathan: Oh, I told him I'm too busy.

Mother: But, you guys go out every year. Did something happen?

Nathan: No, I'm just busy. And tired. You know, I graduate next term and I have to figure things out.

Mother: Figure things out?

Nathan: My next move.

Mother: Oh.

Nathan: I applied to a bunch of jobs last month, in the West, but didn't get any of them.

Mother: How come you never told us?

Nathan: It's not a big deal. I'll tell you about it later.

Mother: No, no. Tell me now. I want to hear.


She walks in and sits on his bed, now an arm's reach from Nathan.

Nathan: (sighs) Y'know, next summer I'll be out of college, and I kept thinking what should I do, what should I do? And I talked to Chris, and he said he's applying for jobs at Silicon Valley. And I thought it'd be cool if we could live in the same city again. And it's California and all. So I did. To about fifteen places. But, yea.

Mother: Well, there's no rush.

Nathan: Mom, it's only six months away!

Mother: You know, your father and I are completely fine with you staying here while you sort it out.

Nathan: Yea, but I don't want to do that.

Mother: It's your home and you're always welcome.

Nathan: (distressed) It's just weird. I've always been away. I mean my stuff's here, but other than that - and plus, I have nothing to do here.


There is a long silence.

Mother: Nathan, do you feel like you're at home when you're here?

Nathan: What do you mean?

Mother: I remember that time when you came back from the high-school band trip. Where did you guys go again?

Nathan: Which year?

Mother: Your senior year.

Nathan: Um, Phoenix.

Mother: My goodness, no wonder it was so expensive!

Nathan: (chuckles) Yea, it was like Philadelphia, Rochester, Pittsburgh, then Phoenix.

Mother: Well, you came back from that trip on Friday and you stayed in all weekend. And you said you were sick and asked me if you could stay in Monday too. I knew you weren't sick so I told you to go to school. But I understood you just missed home, and being on the road with people wasn't your thing. You missed being comfortable, getting rest, or just being home.


Nathan falls silent, reminiscing.

Mother: Do you feel like that when you're here?


Nathan looks up slowly and shakes his head.

Mother: (smiling) We need to find you a girl.

Nathan: (surprised) What?

Mother: Get you married.

Nathan: (more surprised) What?!

Mother: Everyone needs a home.

Nathan: Mom, I'm twenty-two!

Mother: (continuing) Someone who trusts you and loves you.

Nathan: Mom, are you even listening? I'm twenty-two!

Mother: Your father and I dated for two years, and he was twenty-five when he got married.

Nathan: But, you guys are from the Stonehenge!


She lets out a laugh.

Nathan: Mom, that stuff is way down the road.

Mother: Well, you have always been more mature than your age.

Nathan: And plus, the person should always come before the marriage. It doesn't make sense that - oh, I want to get married so I should go find someone. It's not like a goal.

Mother: (smiling) See?

Nathan: Seriously, mom. That is not even in my view sight right now.

Mother: Maybe.


There's a brief pause. Then, she stands up, draws closer to Nathan, and kisses Nathan on the forehead.

Mother: I love you.

Nathan: I love you, too.

Mother: (leaving) Come down for dinner.


(Painting by Mark Rothko "Orange and yellow" 1956)

0 comments: