Rising Atheism

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 | |


Sourced from good.is

This graph is based on the most recent US data, but I'm sure Canada would reflect similar figures. Take a look if you haven't already. I saw this and I had two contradicting thoughts. Yes, the numbers are startling but it wasn't a surprise. On one hand, Christianity is still the leading religion in numbers of followers, but atheism nearly doubled in the demographic percentages. Indeed, it's quite a feat on atheists' perspective. But at the same time, as I'm looking at this figure of numbers and quantity, I also wonder about the quality. I wonder how the quality of the spiritual lives of Americans and Canadians have fared. But then, how is anybody going to be able to measure that? Hmm, food for thought?

Anywho, anyone have an idea why atheism has gained so much popularity? Or perhaps, it's not necessarily a gain on atheists' part, but simply a decline on the general religions. So, by default and lack of religion, people are becoming more and more atheists? I'm not sure. I understand one thing for sure though. Generally, people do not stand on two contradicting schools of thought or beliefs. And by mandate, if we're to live in North America, we are acculturated to North American thoughts, ideals, and beliefs. So, some aspects of the American culture must have changed enough to come to contradict with religious beliefs in general and naturally, have come to put them under stress.

I've never really wanted to read books like 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins or 'God Is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchens. To me, it always seemed too tedious to nitpick and argue with hyper-rationality on the subject of God. Strangely enough, I don't mind reading matters on other religions. And even cults and occults. I have a copy of the Mormon's bible that I entertained myself for a while, I had books on Jehovah's Witness for a while, and I had several books on various cults and occults. They're interesting to read. But I've never entertained reading the books on atheism. Perhaps, it's because atheism is a direct threat and argument against the church. But these books on atheism and the ideas that parallel them have definitely become part of the popular culture; I mean, Richard Dawkins is an iconic figure in the apologetic world! He's a cultural phenomenon, and millions have been exposed to his books, talks, arguments, and ideas.

I need to see this for myself. But even the books are just hints, incomplete stories to fully explain the rising of atheism. Small piece of the puzzle, but a piece nonetheless.

0 comments: