Into the Wild

Thursday, October 8, 2009 | |

It's almost 1 o'clock past midnight and I've been rolling in my bed for the last half an hour, unable to sleep. So I decided to toast some bread, make myself a peanut-jelly sandwich, and eat it with an over-sweetened hot chocolate with lots of whipping cream. It's strange how my food preferences change into the night. I usually don't like sweet stuff nor do I like strawberry jams. Anywho, after my short adventure of preparing the food in my overcrowded-with-ants-kitchen, I've decided to do a film review on one of my latest favorite movies.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you 'Into The Wild'.


How would it feel to be completely unbound? From the worldly possessions, from all the obligations, from all the prejudice, from all the racism, from all the political warfare, from all the religious ideals and although somewhat seemingly tragic, even from all the relationship bonds? Simple put, what would it feel like to transcend all things physical and cerebral, and truly be free?

This based-on-a-true-story revolves around a recent university graduate, one of the top students in his class, who decide to abandon everything in his life and live the life of a tramp, or a nomad. The reason? One day, he realizes his parents aren't who they say they are. His life isn't what he thought it was. And in rebellion, he leaves his home. But soon, the rebellion turns into something much more. Discrediting himself from all social status, accomplishments, and identity, Christopher goes on a journey to travel from one state to another, to Mexico, and eventually to Alaska. It's a story about soul searching, ambitions, loneliness, adventures, questions, and answers. And he won't rest until he's come in terms with himself.

I've often personally wondered what it would feel like not to be myself. Not because I didn't like myself or anything, but just, not be myself or anybody else. To be free from my own consciousness. A state of being and a place to escape from my own consciousness, where nothing exist. This movie gives me a glimpse of what that would be like.

Cinematographically, 'Into The Wild' is stellar. The landscapes, the mountains, the oceans and the rivers, the moon, and the deserts, are curiously seductive. Like the flies that are drawn to fluorescent light bulbs, I'm always amazed to see nature and its beauty. So, naturally (pun intended), this film gets a high nod from me. But that's not all. 'Into The Wild' has an exceptional story-telling style, and throughout the movie, we're introduced a series of people Christopher encounters whose lives and backgrounds are as diverse as the shapes of snowflakes. Yet, the most compelling character is still Christopher. Layers after layers, the film endlessly reveals the character in depth, continuously enlightening the complexities of Chris while melding all the intricacies into a whole being without missing any detail. I recommend it for everyone, film lovers and the unfamiliars alike.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ (8 stars)



2 comments:

deulhee said...

i've never heard of this movie. maybe i'll watch it as my list of 10 movies to watch this term...

Anonymous said...

you should read teh book